It is next to impossible to find something of this caliber between the Korean Teriyaki joints, the Burger Hut, and the Falafel Hot spots (Chaco Canyon was having a work party). This Anth of food class has forced me to take a more critical look at what I eat, where it's from, and how it got there. All this critical thinking makes the stomach indecisive! Trapped between Jack 'n' the Box and yellow cheese soaked mexican food, I can't help but think that all the produce used was shipped here from who knows, and grown by who cares. I am ready for a local alternative, with a fast food form!
How revolutionary! Fast food that uses local ingredients and tastes healthy? Steal that idea if you like, but comp me a meal. If we want to bring the food back from the mist of obscurity, we need to start making it available in its natural form for people to choose, democratically and educated.
After reading this article about China aquaculture imports, http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/health/2004391167_foodafety04.html, I am now even more concerned than ever with the who, what, where, when and how of the life-cycle of my food.
The next step is to help educate people on why local food is important and then use that momentum to open up a delicious specialty restaurant with affordable, local, eats! Until then, I'll settle for the Mongolian Grill...
No comments:
Post a Comment